Thursday, August 03, 2006

New durian lover!! - Posted by Darin

Today I was introduced to the King of Fruits. One of my colleagues at work turns out to be a durian connoisseur. Early this afternoon, Hai Seah stopped by my desk and said, "Tonight at 5pm we leave". He made a gesture as if smelling the sweet fragrence of fresh durian. I knew what it meant. I was going to have a new experience.
You see, even durian of the same variety but from different trees have their own unique flavor. Hai Seah has a relationship with a supplier who monitors specific trees. (You never pick durian, you wait for it to drop). When durians drop from specific trees, Hai Seah gets a phone call from his supplier.
At 5pm, we hustled down to the parking deck to Hai Seah's car and drove to a parking lot near the Botanical Garden, where a very, very old Chinese man has a fruit stand. He sells only durian and mangosteen. Wee Han met us there and we admired his new car before walking to the fruit stand.
Unlike the stinky, red-onion odor I had smelled when locals smuggled durian onto the bus, the aroma around the stand was fresh and sweet and reminded me of road-side fruit stands in central California.
Inside the spiky fruit are large yellow-white pods. They are actually a sweet creamy coating that encases each seed inside the fruit. The consistency is like warm cream cheese and the flavor is about as close to flan as you can get from a fruit. Mind you, this is premium durian. The taste and smell is quite different from what you get when you order durian pudding at a food court.
After enjoying the flesh from two different durians (one with a stronger flavor than the other), we cooled our palates with mangosteen. (durian is a "heat" food, while mangosteen is a "cool" food). We achieved proper yin and yang by balancing our fruit intake.
You open a mangosteen by lacing your fingers together and creating a cradle for the fruit. Then you gently press your palms together until the skin of the mangsteen breaks open. Inside are small white pods that resemble cloves of garlic. They are very juicy and flavorful with a slight acidic content. They were the perfect compliment to our durian.
By this time, I had done my best to lick all the stickiness from my fingers, but was worried about how I would make it home without touching anything. That's when Hai Seah walked us over to a large bucket of water that had a lime floating in it. There was a cup for dipping out the water, and we took turns pouring lime water over each other's hands to remove the stickiness and durian smell. Maggie can testify that my hands have no odor tonight, but my breath is another issue.
I'm so glad I got to taste "the good stuff" today and learn the ropes from a master durian eater!

No comments: