Monday, August 14, 2006

Adventures in Kampong Glam, Singapore - Posted by Maggie

I recently went on a walking tour of Kampong Glam - one of my very favorite areas in Singapore. I particularly like the bright colors of the beautifully restored shophouses that sell traditional handmade batiks, clothes, artefacts, handicraft, furniture and jewelry. I also love the restaurants here because all of them are Halal and most are vegetarian.
Named after the Gelam tree which used to grow in the area, Kampong Glam was the historic seat of Malay royalty in Singapore. The buildings and architecture has been meticulously restored to retain its flavour and authenticity.
A key building in Kampong Glam is Sultan Mosque (or Masjid Sultan) at Bussorah Street, the largest mosque in Singapore with the capacity to accommodate up to 5,000 Muslims in congregational prayers. Built in 1928, the mosque features a massive golden dome and is one of Singapore’s most imposing religious institutions.Nothing beats Arab Street for (bizarre) bazaar-style shopping with true ethnic character. The goods spill out onto the pavements, anything from baskets, incence, shishas and floor mats to serving trays, shoes and handbags. I love it!
-->
View more pictures of Kampong Glam (link will open in new window)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks