Sunday, October 01, 2006

Will the real "Derek" please stand up - Posted by Maggie

This past weekend Darin and I decided to go see a live stand up comedy show at Clarke Quay's premier comedy club called "The 1 Nite Stand". There was a show on with 3 UK comedians, so we knew without a doubt it would be good. I checked the website to make sure the show started at 8pm and verified that there was a full service restaurant. Since Darin usually works till 7pm, there wouldn't be any time for us to grab dinner before the show.
We got to the comedy club at 7:15pm and it was already rather full. Usually in a club like this (that seats around 50-60 - pretty small) in America, the seats would fill up from front to back, so if you came late, you'd have to find a seat waaaaaaay in the back by the kitchen door. Not here, the place filled up from the back to the front, so Darin and I stolled in and took seats right in front to the microphone, not believing our luck. The act would literally be 3 feet away from our table. Big mistake.
But let me tell you about the food situation. By this time I was starving and asked the dazed looking running waitress (who'd been ignoring us for 15 minutes) for a menu. She hastily replied that there was no menu, and that all they served was the list of appetizers ('bar food") on the little list on our table. Things like chicken wings, pizza and potato skins . Huh? No real food? The website said....full menu? I asked her again and she explained that there was no cutlery allowed in the show area (my imagination went wild with thoughts of angry audience members and their fork weapons). You could eat outisde, but then you'd lose your table. Oh, and last orders are in 5 minutes. Huh?? No drinks served during the performance, not even at the bar? Yep, she said. We ordered immediately.
So, I ordered the "vegetable pie" (the only vegetarian dish on the menu) dreaming of a tasty home made pie filled with delicious and healthy steaming veggies in a crispy light and flaky crust, and Darin ordered some samosas and spring rolls. My veggie pie came - it should have been called "soggy pie", it was that gross - like they flung the thing into the microwave and pressed defrost instead of cook in their haste to serve the last rounds. Darin said his food was ok, but I saw him chewing on his samosa for a very long time.
As soon as the show started I had a feeling that there must be a good reason why nobody else wanted our prime seats. My suspicions realized when the first comedian put his glass of water on our table and started asking Darin questions. He asked his name, where he was from etc, and then exclaimed "Derek, the Texan"! Ohboy, hilarity ensued, American and Texas jokes were flying around and poor Bush definitely got wacked. But the whole time the guy kept calling Darin "Derek". It was almost as bad as my mum calling Darin Bryan on our entire first vacation together!
It was hilarious, we had a really fun time. 3 different british comedians were part of the show - each introduced by the same MC funny guy who started giving Darin a hard time, and each next act kept picking on poor Darin. But he was great, and a good sport about it, and even answered a tricky political question very cleverly. During the last act they asked him what his name was again and he was fed-up with being called Derek, so he said "My name is Sam Houston". Nobody got the joke. Except maybe for Derek.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not sure where to post this but I wanted to ask if anyone has heard of National Clicks?

Can someone help me find it?

Overheard some co-workers talking about it all week but didn't have time to ask so I thought I would post it here to see if someone could help me out.

Seems to be getting alot of buzz right now.

Thanks