Saturday, July 08, 2006

Long Bus Ride - Posted by Darin

Today we decided to take the MRT to the Dell facility in Jurong East. It took nearly an hour door to door from the Grand Hyatt on Orchard Road.One thing I learned about riding the bus. They don't stop at a bus stop unless someone is at the bus stop waving at the driver or someone on the bus has pressed the button. Another thing I learned is if the bus is at a stop letting someone on, and you stand up and try to exit the bus, they don't open the rear exit doors unless you actually press the STOP button. The nice thing is that all the public transit systems use the same smart cards, so you can "badge on and off" of trains and buses throughout the country.I may wind up losing weight here simply because it takes so much effort to eat the food. If you get shrimp and noodles, the shrimp still has his eyes, tail, anus, and everything else that a cook normally removes before serving a meal. This has the effect of reducing my appetite somewhat and slowing my food intake considerably. Now a curry puff is right up my alley. Grab one of these babies in your hand and start eating. No preparation necessary. However, being a fried meat pie, curry puffs will have to be a rare treat, lest I wind up in the newspaper as "Fattest American in Singapore".Tomorrow is my first day in the office and I have tons of stuff to do.

No comments: