Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Singapore Art Museum & Chinatown - Posted by Maggie

I visited the Singapore Art Museum recently to investigate what kinds of Asian art is in the collection. When I got there, I was prepared to pay the $3 entrance fee (that I read about in a guide book), but they handed me a floor plan and said the entry was free. Naturally, I was pleased about this.
The map was very hard to figure out, even though the museum itself is very small - 2 story building in a u-shape (compared to the likes of MoMA and the Met, this place is a mere spec of dust). There were 2 temporary exhibits of local Singapore artists. Works ranged from photography to abstrac and figurative painting. I wanted to see more, but the rest of the exhibits were under construction. This is probably why the entrance fee was free.


After the Art Museum I walked down to Chinatown. There are many street stalls selling everything under the sun. There are also tailors everywhere that will make you custom clothing in your choice of fabric. In the US you would pay top dollar for custom made tailored shirts. Here, you can get one for about SG$40-80, which is about USD$30-60!! So for Darin's upcoming 40th birthday, I got him 2 custom made tailored shirts made out of fine silk and quality cotton. (He knows about this gift because he had to come with me to get measured ) I hope they turn out nice.

Club Street in Chinatown is a hip little street with unique and quirky little shops dotting the street. Also known for it's vibrant night life, this street is the place to see and be seen at.

No comments: