Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Ok, this was very disturbing - Posted by Maggie

Guess what I saw today. OMG, brace yourself for this. I had to come back to the hotel to lie down in a fetal position after this experience! They have these food stalls everywhere - selling all kinds of food - from "western food" (looks like grey chicken nuggets), to indian and thai food, and dim sum & dumplings and such (see the Fish ball entry below). Well, one place looked interesting - I thought there were little breads on display and then I saw a jar on top of the counter, and I couldn't figure out what was in there. At closer inspecition, I saw that the label said "Marinated Duck Chins". And that is exactly what they were!! It was literally the lower half of a duck's beak (in the u-shape) with a piece of skin attached to it, and the whole thing skewered on a stick. Serious. I am not kidding!

I was so appalled by this that I started looking around frantically to see if there were any other (westerners) people around who see this. I needed some kind of acknowledgement that this was real (and very disturbing). Of course there was nobody who even blinked an eye, and I actually saw someone ordering some. I fled immediately, feeling sick to my stomach, and came straight back to the hotel.

Lucky for me, there are tons of indian (vegetarian) food everywhere, but I swear - there is only so much vegetable curry, rice and roti one can stand.

Do I write about food a lot? I guess it's because you can't even throw a chop-stick in the air without it landing in a restaurant or food stall around here.

Disturbed in Sing

No comments: